Site search Web search

Vivid Light Photography, digital and film photography online
The Complete Travel Update
by Vivid Light Staff

Over the past 18 months periodic updates on travel and traveling with camera equipment have appeared in this magazine. Judging by your emails this is still a hot topic and we've gotten several requests to pull all this information together into one location. This article includes information on the following (click on any topic to jump directly to it):

Passports & Visas Medical & Travel Warnings
Film & Digital Media Carry-on & Checked Bags
U.S. Customs Insurance

Before we dive in we should spend a second on who does what. At least three government agencies have jurisdiction over some part of you trip; four if you're traveling out of the U.S.

The Department of Transportation (DOT oversees consumer issues such as denied boarding, lost baggage, overbooking, ticketing, as well as statistics on on-time performance.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA is responsible for civil aviation safety. That includes developing safety regulations, certifying pilots and aircraft, and the air traffic control system.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA is responsible for security for all modes of transportation. The TSA publishes a comprehensive list of what can go onto an airplane on your person, in your carry bag, and in your checked bag 

Finally the Department of State ( is responsible for passports and is your source of information on visas and travel advisories for every country in the world.

To simplify things we've included a ton of links that will take you directly to the appropriate government Web site where you can download forms and get additional information if needed.

Passports & Visas 
There was a time when a note from work and a boyish grin could get you a passport the day before your flight. Those days are gone. If you don't have a passport or you've lost your passport you'll need to get all of your paperwork in a minimum of six weeks before your trip.

Don't go to the passport agency to apply for that new passport. Most passport agencies are now only processing emergency passport requests; passports for people leaving in less that 14 days.

In each case listed here you'll need to complete the proper forms and take them to a Passport Acceptance Facility. This is different than a Passport Agency. Passport acceptance facilities will review your paperwork and documentation and then send your forms on to a Passport Agency for processing. To get a list of passport acceptance facilities in your area go to where you can search by zip code, city, or state.

Renewing a passport. If you already have a passport you can renew it by mail by completing the proper forms and sending in your old passport. The process is pretty simple and you can get all the forms and step-by-step instructions at Valid reasons for renewal are that your current passport is about to expire, you've used up all the stamp pages in your current passport, or your name has changed.

Lost or stolen passports. If your passport has been lost or stolen you'll need to get the proper forms to request a replacement. They're available at along with step-by-step instructions. Stolen passports must be reported to the local authorities. If you are overseas you must report your stolen passport to the local U.S. embassy or consulate. They can assist you in obtaining a replacement for your trip home.

Children and Infants. Separate passports are required for children and infants. Overseas flights and some international cruises that require passports will turn away parents who do not have passports for their children. In some cases you may forfeit the full value of your ticket so make sure you've got everything in order for the kids as well as for yourself.

Frequent Travelers. If you travel out of the country frequently the State Department suggests that you order a 48-page passport so that you'll have to renew less often.

Emergencies. If an emergency comes up and you need to travel in less than six weeks you'll need to go directly to a Passport agency. For a list of Passport Agencies go to but don't go to the agency just yet. All Passport Agencies are now appointment only. See the link above for the phone number to make an appointment at the agency nearest you. Depending on your situation there may be additional fees required for expedited processing.

Fees. Renewals cost $55. New passports cost $85 for adults and $70 for children under age 16. There is an extra $60 fee for expedited service for most circumstances.

Exceptions. If you are in arrears in excess of $5,000 in child support you are ineligible to receive a passport. See for payment arrangements and details.

Cheap Insurance. Make 2 copies of your passport identification page. This will facilitate replacement if your passport is lost or stolen. Leave one copy at home with friends or relatives. Carry the other with you in a separate place from your passport.

Visas. Visa information varies considerably from country to country and requirements change regularly (especially in the third world). Your best source of information on foreign entry visas is

Additional information on U.S. passports is available at

Medical Issues and Travel Warnings 
In the United States and in most developed countries you can expect reasonable healthcare standards. But before traveling you should always check to see if vaccinations are required or if there are outbreaks of infectious disease. This is especially important when traveling to Eastern Europe and in Third World countries.

Your first stop for information should be the CDC Traveler Web site The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) regularly updates this site with information on outbreaks, diseases, required vaccinations, and information on safe food and water. Just don't get carried away here. Like the medical warnings on a bottle of aspirin these cover every eventuality. Think about them too long and you won't go anywhere! For example, it's not likely that you'll be exposed to plague when traveling in Western Europe but the site contains the following warning: 

"Don't handle animals (especially monkeys, dogs, and cats), to avoid bites and serious diseases (including rabies and plague)."

Common sense says that you shouldn't go wrestling stray dogs, but it's probably not much of a risk to pet the golden retriever at your bed and breakfast and I haven't seen many stray monkeys running around Europe. If you really want to get scared look up the U.S. and you'll never leave your house again! But there is good information here on vaccinations, which are a must.

Other Web sites worth a visit include the Pan American Health Organization and the World Health Organization It is especially important that you check all those sites that apply if you're going into a high-risk area (such as parts of Africa) as one site may have information that another is lacking. Outbreaks that are rare or unheard of in developed countries, such as cholera and hemorrhagic fever, are still common in some parts of the world. The CDC also maintains a vaccination hotline at 1-877-FYI-TRIP (1-877-394-8747) where you can obtain information about vaccinations needed for your destination.

If you're going somewhere requiring vaccinations you'll need to find a local hospital that can administer those shots. While there find out if there is a doctor affiliated with the hospital that specializes in traveler's illnesses. Doctors specializing in this area may be aware of outbreaks that haven't yet made it onto the Web sites and vaccination lists. They may also be able to prescribe some relief for common ailments such as traveler's diarrhea, which is probably the single most common affliction no matter what your destination. Resources written for doctors specializing in travel medicine include the Journal of Travel Medicine and the ISTM News Service. If you do get sick these doctors are a great resource when you return home.

Make sure you start looking into your shots several weeks before your departure date. Some vaccinations may need to be specially ordered (especially if you don't live in a large city) and some may require a series of shots over days or weeks.

Now that you've waded through all the medical stuff you can really scare yourself and take a look at the travel advisories posted by the state department at The Bureau of Consular Affairs Web site at and you'll find warnings on specific countries at This site includes detailed warnings that range from "there's been a lot of theft against tourists in Rome" to "armed tribesmen in Yemen have kidnapped a number of foreigners."

Among the other information available from the State Department is a list of "Tips for Travelers" bulletins ( They cover destinations as comfortable as Canada and as exotic as China. They're packed with information that you might never have thought of. Had a drunk driving incident in college? You won't be able to rent a car or drive your own car in Canada - unless you get special permission in advance, which takes several weeks.

And finally there's a lot of good information available in the CIA World Fact Book This isn't James Bond stuff. It's more like a big almanac for every country in the world.

The two most important things to remember when traveling are to bring along your common sense and to pay attention to the hairs on the back of your neck. Common sense will keep you out of most trouble and if ever something doesn't feel right get out of there - in some cases that may even mean cutting a trip short and getting out of a country. Always trust your gut feelings as they are seldom wrong.

Film & Digital Media
The rules here are simple: 

  • Never put undeveloped film in your checked baggage.
  • Hand carry all film.
  • Ask for a hand inspection of any film over ISO 800.
  • Don't count on lead bags to protect your film.
  • X-rays have no effect on digital cameras or memory cards.

Never put undeveloped film in your checked bags. Checked baggage scanners will absolutely fog your film. Lead bags in checked baggage appear opaque to bag scanners and will cause them to switch into high power mode in an effort to see through the lead bag - frying your film in the process.

The TSA recommends that all film be hand checked rather than run through the carry-on baggage scanner. But in practice hand checks are routinely refused unless you are carrying high-speed film (ISO 1600 and faster). Film that is 800 speed and slower won't be harmed by a couple of passes through a carry-on x-ray but the exposure is cumulative. Pass the same roll of film through the machine at the gate 10 or 12 times and you'll eventually cook it. Even high speed film can tolerate a pass or two through most low power scanners that you find at the gate. The Fuji 1600 film reviewed elsewhere in this issue made four passes through gate scanners in Philadelphia, Orlando, and Key West before being used and was unaffected.

We can't seem to say this often enough: digital cameras and memory cards are unaffected by x-rays. The people in news groups or on some Web sites who claim x-rays damaged their digital images are idiots. Ignore them.

If you want detailed information on baggage scanners and their effects on film the best resource we've found is Kodak's Technical Information Bulletin: Baggage X-ray Scanning Effects on Film. It's available for free on their Web site at It explains the issues in detail and contains sample images from damaged film so that you can recognize if your film has been damaged by x-rays.

Carry-on Bags, Checked Bags and Passenger Restrictions 
First make sure that you have your tickets and photo ID with you when you arrive at the airport. A passport will be required if you're traveling overseas. Some airports now require that you check in before going through the screeners and airlines are adding additional check-in kiosks and desks in an effort to speed check-in and reduce lines. Some airlines are even introducing online echeck-in that allows you to check-in before leaving the house so you can proceed directly to the gate. 

Anything that reduces time spent standing in line is good news. The bad news is that every airline is doing things a little differently right now. Check your airline's Web site before traveling or call their customer service hotline. 

If you've been in the habit of using frequent flyer lounges to meet with clients during layovers these new regulations will add an extra step. Most frequent flyer lounges are now behind the screeners and you can't pass the screeners without a boarding pass. Upon request you can have the airlines issue a "boarding pass" that will allow meeting attendees past the screeners and give them access to airport lounges and conference rooms. Call ahead and talk to the manager of the lounge you're planning to use their lounge for a meeting to arrange for the passes in advance. 

If you want to avoid the hassle many airports have an attached hotel that is on the outside of the screeners and their lobbies and restaurants do well as impromptu meeting spaces.

Common sense goes a long way when determining what you can and cannot take onto an airplane. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) publishes a comprehensive list of what can go onto an airplane on your person, in your carry bag, and in your checked bags .

It's no surprise that dynamite, sabers, ice axes, and meat cleavers all made it onto the banned carry-on list. But don't take this list as gospel. I was surprised to see cigar cutters listed as an OK item to carry-on. Only two months ago a screener noticed a cigar in my pocket at the gate in Orlando and asked if I had a cigar cutter with me. I told him it was in my checked bag since I assumed it would be a banned item whereupon he informed me that he had confiscated quite a few of them. The rule here is when in doubt pack it in your checked bag.

Tripods are neither ruled in or out on this list. But according to the TSA "Prohibited items " include items that are seemingly harmless but may be used as weapons". Since Baseball Bats, Golf Clubs, Hockey Sticks, Lacrosse Sticks, Pool Cues, and Ski Poles are all banned as carry-on items it's a good bet that your tripod might be as well. Our recommendation is to play it safe and pack it in your checked bag. The same goes for your Swiss Army knife and your Leatherman tool.

There has been a lot of flap in the media recently about the FAA instructing people not to lock their checked baggage. Get over it. All the locks do is help to keep the catch from springing when the baggage handlers drop you bags from the belly of the plane onto the tarmac. For one large luggage manufacturer there are a total of two keys that open all of their bags. That's if a thief wants to bother carrying the keys. You can open just about any luggage lock with a bent paper clip in under 10 seconds - as was demonstrated to me by a luggage repairman. A good webbed strap that wraps around your bag and has a good catch will go a long way toward protecting it from baggage handler abuse.

Never pack valuables in checked baggage unless it's something like a hard sided Pelican case. These cases can accommodate a real lock and you should use one. I'd rather the inspectors call me down to unlock the case than risk losing its contents to thieves. It's also a bad idea to cover your hard case with Nikon or Canon logos. You might as well put a sign on the bag saying "Yo thieves - a couple of grand in camera gear inside! Steal me!" This is especially good advice if you're traveling through high theft airports such as JFK or Miami.

Folding up valuables inside other items in your checked baggage doesn't help. Thieves will search bags if they have time. In one instance they found an American Express card belonging to a traveling companion even though it was buried in an inner pocket of a DayTimer that was folded up inside a sweatshirt. By the time we landed several hours later they had already charged several hundred dollars to the card.

If you're going to be traveling more than once a year invest in good luggage. It costs a little more but it will last years and take an amazing amount of abuse. Get bags with wheels for both your carry-on and checked baggage. Make sure the bags have high quality zippers and catches. Soft-sided bags should have reinforced corners since that's where they get the most wear. A provision to attach a laptop or briefcase bag is a real plus for your carry-on.

I prefer hard-sided bags for checked baggage. Look for a good quality hard-side with high quality catches and a gasket seal. That waterproof seal will protect your clothing if your bag is lying out on a runway in the pouring rain when it's being loaded or unloaded. I've watched people pick up soft-sided bags from baggage conveyors that had water running out of them.

If you prefer soft sided bags make sure you invest in a high quality soft side. It should have an internal frame, reinforced corners, hefty zippers, and reinforced seams. In either case I recommend buying your luggage in a luggage store - not in a department store. A good luggage store can show you the differences in construction between cheap bags, mid-line bags, and frequent traveler bags. Then you can make an educated choice. 

Don't overload your checked bag. If you and your spouse both have to sit on it to latch it the gasket won't seal and the chances of it springing open in transit go up about a 100%. An inexpensive web strap to fasten around the bag is additional insurance against it springing open. They cost around $5 in the luggage department of most stores.

Finally many people don't realize that it's usually pretty inexpensive to get your damaged luggage repaired. One of the big luggage companies used to have a commercial that featured a gorilla knocking the bejesus out of a bag. I'm convinced that commercial used footage of actual baggage handlers. Think I'm exaggerating? Get in the habit of watching these guys while you're waiting to get on a plane! My current bag has been through at least four wheels and several handles (I've lost count). All were broken off by what had to be a ridiculous amount of force. Finally half of the clamshell had to be replaced when a corner of the bag was stove in. The repairman took one look and estimated it had been dropped from the belly of a plane onto the tarmac onto that corner. He wasn't surprised. He said he sees it all the time.

And because repair costs are low I'll report damaged bags to the airline, but I'll never leave the bag with them to be repaired. When reporting a damaged bag most airlines will give you address where you can ship the bag for repairs or in some cases will require that you bring it back to the airport within a set time limit. The cost of repair usually isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the airlines who are denying more and more claims as their bottom lines get tightened.

If you're traveling abroad you'll have to pass through Customs on your return trip.

In November the duty free exemption was raised from $400 to $800 per traveler. That means that you can bring up to $800 worth of stuff back into the country without having to pay any duty (tax) on those items. The items you're bringing in must be for your personal use. Only 1 liter of alcohol and 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars may be included in this exemption.

The good news for parents is that family members who live in the same home may combine their exemptions. So if it's you, your spouse, and your two year old your total exemption is $2,400. But you're limited on the tobacco and alcohol exemptions to adults. You can't claim that extra bottle of single malt whiskey is for your toddler (unless you're Irish).

For you tobacco lovers there are a whole set of rules just for Cuban cigars (which are widely available outside the U.S.). Check out this link Products for the rules on Cuban cigars. If you're traveling to Italy and plan to bring back a couple of cases of wine you may need to get permission in advance so that Customs officials don't think you're bringing it in for resale. Check out for information if you'll be clearing customs with more than one or two bottles.

Canine officer Morgan (from the U.S. Customs Web site)

Customs is also responsible for securing our borders against people smuggling drugs or firearms. Try it and you may run afoul of the tough customer pictured on the right. If you do run into a canine officer doing bag checks keep in mind that customs dogs are working dogs and agents may discourage you from petting them.

The U.S. Customs service has a good Web site for travelers called "Know before your go" at that should answer any other questions.

It's always a good idea to check with your insurance carriers before traveling overseas to make sure that you're covered. Check with your health insurance carrier to determine how bills are handled if you become sick or you're injured on that hiking trip in the Alps. In some cases an additional rider will need to be purchased. Some policies may specifically exclude travel destinations that are considered to be dangerous or a health risk. They may even exclude certain activities that the insurance company considers dangerous such as rock climbing or sky diving.

Check with your auto insurance company concerning coverage on rental cars. What happens if you're in a fender bender in London? Do you need to pick up additional insurance from the rental agency or are you better off with a rider policy from your own insurance carrier? Also check with your homeowner's insurance provider. If your camera equipment is lost or stolen while traveling is it still covered? Are there restrictions or exclusions based on the country you're traveling to? In some cases it pays to pick up a separate, and usually inexpensive, rider just to cover your camera equipment. If you do, make sure it has a zero deductible and that it insures you for replacement value on your gear - not current market value. That's the difference between replacing your stolen F4 with a new F5 or being given book value on a well used F4.

If you travel with any frequency you'll encounter some bumps in the road. It could be lost luggage, a gate screener insisting on scanning your high speed film, or that pleasant fellow in some foreign land who's explaining there is an extra $20 fee to get your passport stamped (bribes are a common occurrence in some parts of the world). A warm smile and a winning personality will get you through a surprising number of situations. At times it can be the difference between an indifferent response and someone making the extra effort to help you out.

There's a lot of detail here and it's a good idea to do a little homework when traveling abroad. But as we said before the best things to pack are a little common sense, a smile, and the ability to roll with the punches. Though there are plenty of travel horror stories the vast majority of travelers have a wonderful time as long as they don't let the little hiccups get in the way.

Remember the difference between and ordeal and an adventure is your attitude.

  Subscribe to Vivid Light 
Photography by email 

Tell Us What You Think

Vivid Light Photography, monthly photography magazine online

Site search Web search

Vivid Light Photography, digital and film photography online